LVAIC War and Peacebuilding Conference
April 7 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
The War and Peace Building conference will take place on April 7, 2017 at Muhlenberg College.
For far too many local inhabitants, a community-level, truthful reflection on the meaning of the recent U.S. wars remains elusive. We invite local scholars, veterans, activists and students in the Lehigh Valley to become partners and interlocutors in a process of learning and healing. We envision a day together:
- to enhance and deepen student learning and ethical awareness about war, peace and justice, and promote collaborative faculty scholarship and development;
- to develop stronger connection between our LVAIC institutions;
- to build bridges between LVAIC academic communities and our local community of veterans and their families, some of whom may or will be students in our colleges and universities
- to help us all understand the impact of over ten years of ongoing US wars on the lives of the people in the Lehigh Valley, to develop increased capacity for community involvement and activism
Registration and continental breakfast will be in Seegers Union from 8:30 – 9:00 a.m., with an opening event from 9:00 – 10:00 a.m. in Seegers Union Events Space. Breakout panels will take place from 10:15 – 11:45 a.m. at rooms in Ettinger Hall. Lunch will be in the Seegers Union Great Room from 12:00 – 1:15 p.m.. After lunch, an interactive presentation from Theatre of War will be held in Seegers Union Events Space.
For photos from the 2015 conference, click here.
The deadline for proposals is February 24, 2017, and proposals and questions can be addressed to Brian Mello (email@example.com).
Papers, projects, proposals, and performances from the 2015 conference included the following:
- Mapping the shadows of war in the Lehigh Valley
- Explorations of dialogue and narrative to build bridges and enhance understanding
- Interrogating commemorations and representations of war and peace
- Explorations of moral injury, sacrifice, victimization, healing
- War, peace and literature, music, and/or art
- Investigating the institutions of war, militarism, peace and peacebuilding
- The roles of gender constructions in war, militarism and peacebuilding
Conference Planning Committee
- Kelly Denton-Borhaug, Moravian College, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Daniel Jasper, Moravian College, email@example.com
- Katalin Fabian, Lafayette College, firstname.lastname@example.org
- John Pettigrew, Lehigh University, email@example.com
- Brian Mello, Muhlenberg College, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Eric Fair, Veteran of the Iraq war and author, email@example.com