- This event has passed.
Implicit Bias Workshop
June 8 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 amFree
Dr. Bentley L. Gibson, Director of The Bias Adjuster, LLC, is hosting and facilitating a workshop regarding Implicit Bias. Dr. Gibson is currently an Assistant Professor of Psychology at Georgia Highlands College. Her research focuses on what are known as implicit biases, associations that people may be unaware they possess, yet still impact their behaviors. Her full biography is available here.
At the conclusion of this program, attendees will:
- Develop an awareness of their own implicit bias (using the latest scientific assessments).
- Exposure to the science explaining how implicit bias develops from childhood to adulthood.
- Learn about how factors such as personality and specific social conditions (i.e. stress) impact implicit bias.
- Understand the ways in which implicit bias can impact the behaviors of well-intentioned individuals, and that few of us are immune to society’s deeply rooted social stereotypes.
- Understand how to use the observational method to assess prejudice and discrimination that may be associated with implicit bias in their surroundings.
- Understand how to reduce and control implicit bias and achieve positive intergroup experiences.
- Have numerous counter-stereotypical examples of negatively stereotyped groups that will counteract negative attitudes
- Participate in group/team-building exercises that reduce bias and foster positive intergroup interactions.
- Participate in a training that steers away from causing negative feelings (i.e., guilt, sadness, discouragement, anger, etc.).
Given the current recommendations for social distancing, we are going to move this workshop to a remote session. We will move the presentation portion of this session to an online learning module, which will require 3 hours of learning time done asynchronously.
45 minutes – 1 hour of time will be required for completing 3 (race, gender, and sexuality) of the Implicit Bias Assessments. 2 hours of time will be required to complete all modules in the online learning course. We will share access to this course by May 18.
Finally, we will host a synchronous learning session with the speaker, Bentley Gibson, after completing all 3 modules. This event will take place on June 8 at 10am-11am via Zoom.